Trump cuts $175M US in funding to university over transgender athlete on swim team

The Trump administration has suspended approximately $175 million US in federal funding for the University of Pennsylvania over the participation of a transgender athlete in its swimming program, the White House said Wednesday.

The Ivy League school has been facing an Education Department investigation focused on its swimming program. That inquiry was announced last month immediately after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order intended to ban transgender athletes from competing in girls and women’s sports.

However, the federal money that was suspended came from a separate review of discretionary funding for universities, the White House said. It came from the Department of Defence and the Department of Health and Human Services.

A Penn spokesperson said the school had not received any notification or details of the action.

“It is important to note, however, that Penn has always followed NCAA [National Collegiate Athletic Association] and Ivy League policies regarding student participation on athletic teams,” spokesperson Ron Ozio said.

“We have been in the past, and remain today, in full compliance with the regulations that apply to not only Penn, but all of our NCAA and Ivy League peer institutions.”

The investigation at Penn, opened by the Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights, focuses on Lia Thomas, who swam on the school’s women’s team and was the first openly transgender athlete to win a Division I title in 2022.

The agency also opened reviews of San Jose State University volleyball and the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association.

WATCH | Trump’s executive order only recognizes two genders: 

Breaking down Trump’s ‘two genders’ executive order

2 months ago

Duration 3:20

Transgender people in the U.S. say they’re worried about what’s to come after President Donald Trump signed an executive order saying his government only recognizes two sexes that are assigned at birth.

Source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular

spot_img

More from author

“Expert Urges Voters: Prioritize Democratic Values”

As Ontario residents gear up for the upcoming provincial election on Thursday, a political expert based in Sault Ste. Marie emphasizes the importance of...

“Canadian Party Leaders Crisscrossing Country for Campaign Events”

Liberal Leader Mark Carney is scheduled to make an announcement in Windsor, Ontario, followed by a media availability at 10 a.m. Eastern Time. His...

“Air Canada Strike Leaves Canadian Family Stranded in Scotland”

Barry Fraser and his family from Rockwood, Ont., found themselves in an unexpected predicament while in Scotland, unsure about their return flight home. Their...

“Hyundai and Kia Drivers Fear Engine Fires, Recalls”

Hyundai and Kia drivers express concerns about driving their vehicles due to the looming threat of engine fires and failures. Recalls affecting millions of...